Affiliation and official address:
“Laser-Surface-Plasma Interactions” Laboratory, Lasers Department,
National Institute for Lasers, Plasma and Radiation Physics,
Institute of Atomic Physics,
P.O. Box MG-36 RO-77125
Magurele, Bucharest, Romania
Phone: home: 7 25 38 61
mobile: 0726 528 932
Ph.D. 2007 Mechanical Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute, Troy, NY. GPA: 3.72/4.
M.S. 2004 Mechanical Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute, Troy, NY. GPA: 3.62/4
B.S. 1995 Faculty of Physics, University of Bucharest, Romania. Specialty:
Optotechnics and Lasers. Average of study years: 9.40/10
2007-2009 Teaching Assistant, Boston College, Boston, MA,
Duties: Grading homeworks and exams.Solving problems for students in class.
2001 – 2007 Research Assistant Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, NY,
Duties: Developing new techniques for thermoelectric properties measurement
of nanostructured naterials, nanostructures growth.
1998 – 2001 Research Scientist, the National Institute of Lasers Plasma and
Radiation Physics, Bucharest, Romania.
Duties: The study of the energy transfer processes in Er:YAG
1996 - 1998 Physicist Engineer at the Steel Factory, “SIDEX”, Safety Environmental
Laboratory, Galati, Romania.
Duties: Developing of a theoretical method for pollutants dispersion in air from the
Steel Factory.Measurements in situ of several kind of gaseous and solid pollutants.
1995 – 1996 Research Assistant, the National Institute of Lasers Plasma and Radiation Physics
Duties: the study of the laser emission at 3 um of Er; YAG crystals by numerical simulation, absorption and emission spectra measurement, maintenance of the solid state lasers systems in the lab
P Perofessional activity
1995-2001 SPIE, Member
2000-2001 Romanian Society of Physics, Member
2002 - Present American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member
1. Mihailescu I.N.; Bociaga D.; Socol G.; Stan G.E.; Chifiriuc M.C.; Bleotu C.; Husanu M.A.; Popescu-Pelin G.; Duta L.; Luculescu C.R.; Negut I.; Hapenciuc C.; Besleaga C.; Zgura I.; Miculescu F.; "Fabrication of antimicrobial silver-doped carbon structures by combinatorial pulsed laser deposition"; International Journal of Pharmaceutics; 515 (1–2) 592–606 (2016)
2. Bazgan S.; Ristoscu C.; Negut I.; Hapenciuc C.; Turcan M.; Ciobanu N.; Mihailescu I.N.; Enaki N.; "Propagation of UV radiation through meta-materials and its application in bio decontamination"; Romanian Reports in Physics, 67(4) (2015) In Press
Arup Purkayastha‡Abhishek JainClaudiu HapenciucRok BuckleyBinay SinghC. KarthikRutvik J. MehtaTheodorian Borca-TasciucGanpati RamanathSynthesis and Thermoelectric Properties of Thin Film Assemblies of Bismuth Telluride Nanopolyhedra”, Chem. Mater., 2011, 23 (12), pp 3029–3031
4. Zhang Y, Hapenciuc CL, Castillo EE, Borca-Tasciuc T, Mehta RJ, Karthik C, Ramanath G. A microprobe technique for simultaneously measuring thermal conductivity and Seebeck coefficient of thin films Applied Physics Letters. 96. DOI: 10.1063/1.3300826
5. Castillo EE, Hapenciuc CL, Borca-Tasciuc T. Thermoelectric characterization by transient Harman method under nonideal contact and boundary conditions. The Review of Scientific Instruments. 81: 044902. PMID 20441361 DOI: 10.1063/1.3374120
6. Georgescu S., Lupei V., Petraru A., Hapenciuc C., Florea C., Naud C., Porte C., “Excited-state- absorption in low concentrated Er: YAG crystals for pulsed and cw pumping”, J. LUMIN. 93 (4): 281-292 AUG 2001
8. Georgescu S., Lupei V., Petraru A., Hapenciuc C. “Up-conversion processes in erbium doped materials”
LUMINESCENT MATERIALS VI, Editors: Ronda C, Welker T, ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY SERIES, 97 (29), 409-419, 1998
10. Y. Zhang, C. L. Hapenciuc, E. Castillo, T. Borca - Tasciuc, R. J. Mehta, K. Chinnathambi, G. Ramanath, “Simultaneous measurement of thermal and thermoelectric properties of nanostructured materials using scanning hot probe technique,” EMC - TMS Annual Electronic Materials Conference and Exhibition, 2009, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
11. Claudiu Hapenciuc, Theodorian Borca-Tasciuc, Arup Purkayastha, Ganapathiraman Ramanath, “Thermoelectric properties characterization of nanostructured thin-films “ American Society of Mechanical Engineering 2nd Energy Nanotechnology International Conference – Final Program, September 5-7, 2007, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA
12. C. L. Hapenciuc, T. Borca-Tasciuc, A. Purkayastha, G. Ramanath, “Thermoelectric Transport Measurements in Thin Films using a Scanning Hot Probe Technique,” 2007 Materials Research Society Conference, Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
13. R. P. Buckley, M. I. Cane, C. L. Hapenciuc, E. E. Castillo, and T. Borca-Tasciuc, “Investigation of a Transient Technique for Thermoelectric Characterization of Nano-Structured Films,” 2007 MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA. (poster)
14. Claudiu L. Hapenciuc, Eduardo Castillo, T. Borca-Tasciuc, A. Purkayastha, and G. Ramanath, “Thermoelectric Characterization of Nanostructured Thin Films by a Scanning Hot Probe Technique,”2007 MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, MA. (poster)
15. A. Purkayastha, G. Pattanaik, C.L. Hapenciuc, T. Borca-Tasciuc, and G. Ramanath, "Directed synthesis and properties of thermoelectric nanorods and assemblies for cooling hotspots in nanodevice wiring,”2007 Workshop on Interconnects for Hybrid and Monolithic Integration, Albany, NY. (poster)
16. Hapenciuc, C. L. , Borca-Tasciuc, T., “The Scanning hot probe technique for thermoelectric transport characterization,” 2006, ASME International Mechanicall Engineering Congress and Exposition, Nov. 5-10 2006, Chicago IL, CDROM
17. S. Kim, C. L. Hapenciuc, Y. Son, A. Jain, A. Purkayastha, G. Ramanath, and T. Borca-Tasciuc, “Thermoelectric transport in bismuth telluride nanostructured films,”2006 Energy Nanotechnology International Conference, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, MA. (poster)
18. C. L. Hapenciuc, A. Jain, T. Borca-Tasciuc, A. Purkayastha, G. Ramanath, “Thermoelectric Transport Measurements of Bi2Te3 Nanostructured Films using a Scanning Hot Probe Technique,” Materials Research Society Conferance, Symposium F: Materials and Technologies for Direct Thermal-to-Electric Energy Conversion, Fall Meeting, 28 nov.-2 dec. 2005, Boston, MA.
19. Hapenciuc CL, Borca-Tasciuc T. Development of a scanning hot probe technique for thin-film thermoelectric properties characterization American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Heat Transfer Division, (Publication) Htd. 376: 697-701. DOI: 10.1115/IMECE2005-82626
20. Claudiu, L. Hapenciuc, Fazeel J. Khan1, Theodorian Borca-Tasciuc, and Gwo-Ching Wang, “Development of experimental techniques for thermoelectric properties characterization of low- dimensional structures,” Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. Vol. 793, (2004)
21. C. Hapenciuc, A. Kumar, G. Ramanath, and T. Borca-Tasciuc, “Electrical Transport in Au/Ag Nanoparticle Films,”2004 MRS Fall Meeting, Boston MA. (poster)
22. Hapenciuc CL, Khan FJ, Borca-Tasciuc T, Wang GC. Development of experimental techniques for thermoelectric properties characterization of low-dimensional structures Materials Research Society Symposium - Proceedings. 793: 181-186.
23. Borca-Tasciuc T, Wei B, Khan FJ, Vajtai R, Hapenciuc CL, Ajayan PM. Experimental investigation of temperature annealing effect on thermophysical properties of carbon nanotube arrays American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Heat Transfer Division, (Publication) Htd. 374: 349-354. DOI: 10.1115/IMECE2003-42199
24. Theodorian Borca-Tasciuc, Claudiu Liviu Hapenciuc, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Dept. of Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering, Troy, NY; Bingqing Wei, Robert Vajtai, and Pulickel M. Ajayan, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, Troy, NY. “Anisotropic thermal transport in carbon nanotube arrays”, MRS, Symposium S: Nanoscale Thermal Transport-From Fundamentals to Devices , 21-25 april, 2003, San Francisco, CA
25. Borca-Tasciuc T, Hapenciuc CL, Wei B, Vajtai R, Ajayan PM. Anisotropic thermal diffusivity of aligned multiwalled carbon nanotube arrays Asme International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Proceedings. 5: 305-309. DOI: 10.1115/IMECE2002-39576
26. Georgescu S., Hapenciuc C., Florea C. “On the intrinsic oscillation threshold of 3-μm erbium lasers”
6th Conference on Optics (ROMOPTO 2000), SEP 04-07, 2000
SPIE Vol. 4430, pp. 44-51 (2001)
27. Georgescu S., Hapenciuc C.“A simple method for characterisation the up-conversion processes governing three-micron generation in concentrated erbium crystals”, 6th Symposium on Optoelectronics (SIOEL'99), SEP 22-24, 1999, SPIE Vol. 4068, pp. 284-289 (2000)
28. Georgescu S., Lupei V., Hapenciuc C. “Q-switch regime of 3- μm erbium lasers”, 5th Conference on Optics (ROMOPTO 97), SEP 09-12, 1997, SPIE Vol. 3405, pp. 2-9 (1998)
29. S. Georgescu, V. Lupei, C. Hapenciuc, “Infrared pumped upconversion emisssion in low concentrated Er:YAG crystals”, Int. Conf. on Photonic Materials for 21st century, Lyon-France
30. S. Georgescu, V. Lupei, C. Hapenciuc,“Q-switching of 3 mm Er:YAG laser”, Int. Conf. on f-elements ICFE3, Paris-France (1997), paper P5-15
31. S. Georgescu, V. Lupei, A. Petraru, C. Hapenciuc, “Spectroscopy of high energy levels of Er3+ in YAG, excited by upconversion”, Int. Conf. on f-elements ICFE3, Paris-France (1997), paper P2-43
32. S. Georgescu, V. Lupei, A. Petraru, C. Hapenciuc, “Upconversion fluorescence of Er:YAG crystals under 532 nm pumping”, European Conference on Quantum Electronics EQEC’96, Sept. 1996, Hamburg,
Germany, Techn. Digest, p. 110, paper QWD 11